Thursday, September 15, 2011

Welcome Fall Linky Party

Ok,ok...I know I'm slightly early, but this is my favoritest (yep, that's a first grade word)time of the year. I love, love, love fall! Although, down here, fall really doesn't come until late October or November...I still love it! I love it sooo much, I thought it would be fun to see some of the awesome fall activities you do in your classrooms. So, I'm starting this Fall Activities Linky Party. Now, this is my first linky party, so don't let me down! Your activity can be an art project, math activity, science...really anything as long as it occurs in the fall season (yep, that means Halloween or Thanksgiving too!). One of the things that I just made to use this year is this fun apple basket math station. The kids each get an apple basket and some red, yellow, and green die cut apples. Before you pass out the baskets, program each one with a number based on your student's ability levels. The children can use the apples to model the number and then write an addition sentence. Here's an example:
If you have some kids that need an extra challenge, have them use all three colors:
Once they record one way to make their number, they can clean off the apples and show another way to make the same number.  Here's a recording sheet you can use with this activity:
Apple Basket Addition Recording Sheet


I hope you can use this activity in one of your math stations!  Now, link up and share some of the awesome things you do to celebrate the fall season.  Be sure to check back on Monday for an easy fall art activity!





7 comments:

  1. Kristy,
    Great idea! I am just now starting Guided Math groups, next week actually will be my first unit. I teach 5th grade. Most resources I am finding is geared toward primary grades, but I keep looking. I am so excited and learning so much. Your blog is so much fun. As soon as I have something to share I certainly will.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good timing! Just earlier today, my teammate and I came up with this idea. While they're busy doing their seat work, we plan to go around taking pictures of them. Then we'll put these up on the SmartBoard for them to make up a number sentence about. So if in the picture there are 2 boys and 4 girls, they can create a number sentence that might be 2 boys + 4 girls = 6 students. Someone else might notice that three are wearing red and three are wearing blue and they might be able to come up with a doubles fact.
    As they get better, we might print out pictures and have them create pages for a class math book, like Debbie Diller suggests!
    This is my first year of actually enjoying teaching math. Reading Debbie Diller's book, putting all her ideas into practice, and getting great ideas from bloggers like you has made all the difference!
    I get to see Debbie Diller next month. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Create and play I have.. Who has... It is great as a whole class activity. It can be math questions, sight words, seasonal pictures, etc. The sky is the limit. If you are creative you can have this game for anything you do.
    Ex. I have apples.
    Who has fall leaves.
    Make the last card I have...
    We can stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love your blog! :)
    I have a Kinder student who can already add and subtract! I have a center like this and can't wait to add your recording sheet for this student! Thank you for sharing! :)
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I just found your blog and am a new follower. Thanks for the link up. I can't wait to find some great ideas!!!

    Christine

    hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristy! I love your blog and of course, your great choice in names! It's Rebecca from Teaching First just dropping in to say hi! I hope you'll join my Fall Linky Party and link up your cute ideas! I'm your newest follower.
    Rebecca@teachingfirst-abc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys,
    Thanks for your great ideas and welcome to my new followers. Now, could you help me spread the word? Tell your friends to link up. Oh, and Rebecca - I've already linked up at your party!
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete