Saturday, September 10, 2011

American Pride linky party

In honor of 9/11, Sunny Days in Second Grade is hosting an American Pride linky party. I've gone back and forth over the past week deciding whether or not to discuss 9/11 with my firsties. Yesterday, the school showed a video "Remembering September 11" over the network, so I figured it was allright to discuss it with my class. We're starting a study of national symbols next week, so I thought this would be a good time to talk about it (and, I figured they probably couldn't go through the weekend without hearing something about it). One of the things that we'll do next week is to read this book:
This is a wonderful book written by a first grade class.  It mentions the twin towers and what happened on 9/11, but focuses on the positive aspects of the children's lives and how they knew everything would be allright.  We are also going to discuss the pledge and what each word of the pledge means (and what the words really are - you'd be amazed at what first graders say when they say the pledge).  Then, we'll make torn paper flags. 
I usually have my kids tear their paper into smaller pieces and use those to make a stripe (rather than the one long strip shown in this photo).  I also use the die cutter to cut out the stars.  They end up being very pretty and I found this poem that the kids can glue on the back of their flag:

Flag poem


Link up here

Visit Sunny Days


I hope you take time this weekend to remember 9/11. Pray for those who lost loved ones that day and for the everyday heroes who put their lives on the line for our freedoms and our safety.

2 comments:

  1. I've 'discovered' your blog as a result of the link-up over at Sunny Days & I'm delighted to get acquainted as a result.

    I am the author/illustrator of the picture book, "Red, White and Blue" which is based on the lyrics I wrote to a simple song by the same name immediately after 9-11. The book is new this year & this is the first time for it to be available to teachers for use of the observation. I am in the process of collecting additional resources to suggest to teachers of their younger students. I am grateful for the outline of activites that you have shared.

    I look foward to getting further acquainted with your work -- through your blog.

    Debbie Clement
    RainbowsWithinReach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we have similar feelings about remembering 9/11 with the kids.
    Thanks so much for sharing and linking up!

    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete