Monday, March 26, 2012

Place Value Art

We've been working for a while with place value.  Most of The kids are finally understanding how to show numbers using "sticks" and "squares" (base 10 blocks).  We've talked about using a "flat" to show 100.  We're going to be working on this for a while, but since they're starting to really get it, I think it's time for our annual Place Value Art Show. 

I copy a bunch of paper flats, sticks, and squares and tell the children that they can use them to make a beautiful picture.  Here's my (thrown together really quick) example:

The kids, of course are much more creative than I am.  I've seen them make the most beautiful pictures - rocket ships, boats, robots, etc.  And, of course, theirs are glued onto paper, colored, and beautiful backgrounds are added.  We talk about an art gallery and how people can purchase beautiful works of art.  We then talk about the value of their paintings.  Of course, there's always one that says their art is worth a million dollars.  I tell them that we are going to add up the flats, sticks, and squares they used to make their picture in order to find the value of it.  For example, in my picture, I used 2 flats, 4 sticks, and 20 squares.  If I added these up, my picture would be worth $260.  This is a good opportunity to introduce the concept of regrouping.  That is a second grade skill in our district, but being introduced to it doesn't hurt. 

I then give the kids some blank scrapbook tags and they get to write the "cost" of their art on the tag.  We use black construction paper to make frames for each work of art and then hang them in the hall with the price tags (just in case anyone wants to purchase one, lol)!

The kids really enjoy this activity and it gives them the chance to practice counting, place value, and number sense skills. 
I found these printable base 10 blocks here if you need them!  If you do some place value art, let me know!  I'd love to see the works of art your children create!  I'll post pictures of ours when we finish.

On another note, does anyone know how I can share a VERY large file?  I have SMARTboard files for each of our Treasures stories, but they are soo big (over 60MB).  I need to email it to someone, but it's too big.  Help!

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea!! I'm going to do this with my kids this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great idea, Kristy! I'm printing the blocks right now. We use Treasures also - this is our second year with it. :-)

    As for the file, can you "zip" it?

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to do that. It's a smartboard file for Treasures. Can you tell me how to do it?

      Delete
    2. Hey, Kristy. Sorry so long to respond. Do you know if there is a way to have blogs notify you when someone replies to a comment? Then I would have got back to you a lot sooner! Anyway, try this link (if you haven't already figured it out)...
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Compress-and-uncompress-files-zip-files

      Again, I'm sorry! I'm so new to this blogging thing! ;-)

      Crystal

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! I think I just figured it out! Hopefully I'll get an e-mail this time.

      Crystal

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous idea! As far as sending the large file, try www.yousendit.com.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! I saw you graduated from UC. I graduated from the University of Cincinnati DAAP program. I'm going to UC's Teacher's College to earn a second degree in elementary education (K-3), starting this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teaching program is 4 years. The last 2 years are called COHORT. Students intern their last 2 years (4 internships), every other semester. I only have to go 3 years because a lot of my classes transferred over. So, after this year, I'll be a student teacher! I'm excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bad, I think it might be 2 internships because UC is on semesters instead of quarters. Not real sure, I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I graduated, we did a semester of observation, then half a year of what they called Teaching Associate and then a full year of internship. I wish all colleges would do that. Down here, the college kids only get one semester of pre-internship and one of internship. Not nearly enough, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete