Monday, July 18, 2011

Conqering the Classroom Clutter - Day 1

So today I begin my journey toward having a neat, clean, and organized classroom. When I went into my classroom for the first time since school let out, I stood for a minute and surveyed the classroom, getting a picture in my mind of what I wanted it to look like. Here's what it looked like when I got there:

With my vision of a beautiful, organized classroom clear in my mind, I headed straight for the closet (a.k.a "The Black Hole").  Here is what I faced when I opened the door:


It literally sucked the life right out of me and made me want to close the door!  But, after saying a little prayer and remembering that beautiful classroom in my mind, I dove right in. I worked for about 3 hours just taking things out of the closet and setting it around the room.  No organizing, no sorting, no throwing away - just clearing out.  After 3 hours, I still had about half of the closet left to clear out, so I'm going back tonight.  I can only go for about 2 or 3 hours per day (because I refuse to take my kids up there during their summer - plus, they make a bigger mess than I do!) so I'm hoping that I can get this done and organized before pre-planning on August 9th.
   Stay tuned for updates and to see if I make it in time, lol!  I'm also open to any organizational tips and /or encouraging words you might have (apparently, I will need those!)!

3 comments:

  1. Your room is HUGE!! Oh, and honestly, there is no one in the world that can truly understand what you are talking about unless they are a teacher! I feel your annual summer pain! lol
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your closet made me really laugh out loud! I'm a first year teacher, and I have a spare bedroom in my apartment that looks very similar to your closet, filled with stuff for my classroom! Good thing I don't have a closet to stash is all in! =) Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you this evening. Love the size of your closet- I could hide so much of my stuff from my classroom in there *wink*- then my room would look so cute :). I don't have a lot of storage in my classroom, so my classroom does look cluttered. Personal goal this year is to try to get rid of some of the clutter.
    Thanks for sharing your blog and classroom with us this summer!

    ReplyDelete