Monday, March 18, 2013

Leprechaun hats (sort of...)

**NOTE:  I tried to publish this post on Friday (and Saturday), but Blogger was not cooperating with me!  Sorry - better late than never???




So I saw this on Pinterest and thought it would be a fun thing to do with my kiddos this weekend (since St. Patty's Day is Sunday):



 The idea came from The Teacher Wife.  
Every year at our school, our kindergarten classes really make a mess of their rooms and leave little green footprints everywhere and tell their kids that the leprechauns came in and made the mess on St. Patty's Day.  So, of course, every year we hear, "Are the leprechauns coming to our room this year?"  And of course, every year we say no (after all, I really don't need help making my room a mess.  I do a pretty good job on my own, lol)!  So, I told the kids that if they made some hats to give to the leprechauns, they would not trash our room.  I didn't tell them about the melting them down part.
So on Friday, I had the kids color styrofoam cups to look like leprechaun hats and brought them home this weekend to melt them down.  Have any of you out there tried this?

Ok, if you haven't, here are some warnings:
1. Don't walk away from the oven!!!  I put the first batch in, went around the corner into the laundry room and pulled out like 2 pairs of pants from the dryer  and then came back to check on them and they were super tiny!  They really only take a LITTLE bit of time to melt.
2.  Don't open the oven door as you are breathing in - seriously!  Instant headache from the fumes!!!

So, here's how mine turned out:
Yeah, I heard you laughing.  And then, there was this one:

Yep, one of them turned out just perfectly!???  How does that happen?  So, I got to thinking - since I already went out and bought the cookies, we're gonna use these hats!  So since our author of the month is Dr. Seuss (of course), I wrote a little poem from the "leprechauns" to the class to explain the hats:
Feel free to click the link above to download the poem.  (hopefully it will take you to Google Docs although Blogger is acting CRAZY today).


No comments:

Post a Comment