Monday, January 28, 2013

What's Your Schedule Look Like?

Falling Into First is doing a fun little linky about schedules.  I don't know about you, but I love to see what other people's schedules look like.  Now, normally about this time, I would be starting math right now, but today (and tomorrow) I will be home with a sick boy.  I apparently shared all my germs with him last week and now it's his turn to be sick.  Luckily, it's not the stomach thing going around, just a nasty head cold/sinus thing.  But, because he has a fever - no school today or tomorrow.  So, here is what my schedule (normally) looks like:

 
 
8:15 - 8:45  Students come in, unpack and begin morning work. Teachers report at 7:45. Our tardy bell rings at 8:35.
 
8:45 - 10:20 ELA block - this block is broken up into whole group mini-lessons and centers.  I used to assign centers to students, but since we've come back from Christmas, I have let the students choose what center they want to go to.  I also used to set a timer for a set amount of time in each center, but I found myself either running out of time and not getting things done or (especially with my high group) getting done too quickly.  So, I now just pull a group that I need to work with and allow the others to work in their centers.  Then, when I am done with the group I'm working with, I simply ask the others to clean up.  If they did not finish their center, they turn the center card sideways.  This helps to remind them (and me) of where they need to go next time they go to centers.  It's actually working out pretty well.  And, it's taken a lot of stress off of me because now I am free to work at the pace that the students in my group need (rather than trying to rush the less able readers, for example, just so we can get done before time is up). 
 
10:30 - 11:00 Specials - We have the same resource/specials schedule every week.  We go to library on Monday, PE on Tuesday, Music on Wednesday, and Computer on Thursday.  Friday is our make up day if we have a missed day due to holidays or planning days.  If we didn't miss any specials that week, the kids all get together and the specials teachers do a fun activity with them.  After seeing some of your schedules, I am jealous that some of you get a full hour! 
 
11:00 - 11:15  Read Aloud
 
11:20 - 11:45 Lunch - yep, you're seeing that right - only a 25 minute lunch (which in reality turns out to be 15 or 20 minutes). 
 
11:50 - 12:15  Grammar/language arts
 
12:15 - 12:30  Calendar/Math Journal time
 
12:30 - 1:20 Math - We usually do a whole group math lesson until about 1 or 1:15 and then the kids go to centers.  This gives me time to work with those who need some extra help with concepts.
 
1:30 - 2:00  Recess
 
2:10 - 2:40  Social Studies/Science
 
2:47 Bus Riders Leave/ 2:55 Walkers Leave
 
3:15 Teacher Dismissal Time (haha - yeah, I wish!  I usually leave around 5)
 
 
So now I'd love to see your schedule.  Head over to Falling into First to link up!
Falling into First



No comments:

Post a Comment