Friday, June 15, 2012

Sight Word Advice

As our district moves to Common Core next year,  I am spending the summer rethinking and planning.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the switch because our district is really freeing us to teacch the way we want to.  Which, for me means more thematic teaching and LOTS more integration across subject areas.

Hopefully, you can help.  We use Treasures and I really don't like their spelling and vocabulary component.  I really want to come up with a new sequence of spelling patterns and sight words.  So, what do youguys use?  Fry words, Dolch words...?  How about spelling?  Do you do weekly spelling lists/tests?  Word families?  I'm starting from scratch, so any ideas are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I don't use Treasures so maybe this is no help at all, but I do individualized lists and I don't give tests. Maybe that sounds kind of crazy, but it really does work for me. If you're interested, here's my post about it:
    http://foreverin1st.blogspot.com/2012/02/official-but-not-traditional.html
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete