Sunday, May 20, 2012

Planning for Next Year - Science

Ok guys, I need your help.  I'm trying to plan for next year and I want to incorporate more science lab type experiments.  You see, we have to give a science assessment to our firsties twice a year.  Now, let me give you a little background.  We were supposed to get a new science series this year.  We studied the choices, voted for our favorite, and then were told that there was no money for first grade or kindergarten to get the new books.  So, that was bad enough - then we go to take our first Performance Matters Science test only to realize that it aligned with our new science series (you know, the one we didn't get), not the old one. 

So now that we know that there is a lot more emphasis on understanding the scientific method and what happens in each step, we need to start finding lessons and activities to help the students not only understand our standards, but also how to complete a science inquiry activity.  I'm thinking about having "Mad Scientist Mondays" where we complete a science lab/hands on type activity that goes along with what  we're learning about.

Here's where you come in.  Do you know of any good websites, books, etc.  that I could use to plan these lab activities? 

3 comments:

  1. I have a great book with a lot of experiments. It is called 365 Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials. I think it would be perfect to go along with your Mad Scientist Mondays & not expensive because most of the experiments are done with common household products. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That sounds awesome! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have science books either - just one big book to use. I love your Mad Scientist Mondays idea. I bet your kids will love it!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete